Saturday, June 26, 2010

Paito Update/ Painted Rug

First, let's start with a before picture...


Well, it's not a 'true' before pic, I had already painted a few things and hung my new wreath, but you get the idea.
After searching a few stores, I just couldn't find an outdoor rug that was suitable for me.  Some were too big, some were too small and some where plain outrageous.  (Um, $80 for a rug sure to get mud on it?? I don't think so!!)
And then the idea came to me, as it usually does when I have exhausted possible retail options and come up empty-handed,  to create my own.  I already had the outdoor rug. It was in perfect working condition, even if it was completely boring.  Best part of all, it was left here by the previous owners so it was *FREE*!!  ;)  (my favorite kinda price!)
I started by cutting out freezer paper, with the idea that I could iron the pieces to the rug and then spray paint it.  After about a half hour of trimming squares (and not one came out an actual square) the thought popped in my mind, "Post-it Notes!"  Off to the store we went, and about an hour later I had this:


I took it outside to paint away....


So, into the garage went me, my post it note rug and my good buddy


Hint: Spray in the direction of the post it notes so they won't lift up.


Then, after it was dry, I placed it back on the porch! 


I think it adds a little pop of interest, and it since I had every thing on hand, it only cost me $1!  (Post-it Notes found at Dollar Tree)  Hoping to get out to Home Depot or Restore for some wood to build a little bench this week.  Also, I will be going to this fab nursery for some more plants/flowers.  I tell you more about that place later! ;)

Linking up with Funky Junk and Under the Table and Dreaming!

21 comments:

Katie said...

Never thought to use post it notes! Very creative!

sissie said...

Another great use for post it notes!!!
Regan, you are so clever and who would have ever thought to do a rug makeover? Why, you of course!!

Your porche is looking really sweet.

hugs
Sissie

Coleen's Corner said...

How utterly clever! Love it, love it, love it!

Anonymous said...

Regan, I don't know where you get your ideas from, but you are one clever girl! it looks great! and so does your porch. who would have ever thought to use post it notes and then spray paint a rug? You need to move closer to us so you can do our home too, Regan! hint...hint.

love ya!
your proud mama.

Nancy said...

Regan,
This is one of the most clever ideas I've seen. Good for you! The rug looks great!!

Nancy

Pam said...

How clever to use the post its! From my view, it looks like the rug is painted on the floor at an angle. At least I actually thought it was a painted concrete rug before I read the post. lol Following you now thru Funky Junk's SNS #36. Pam @ Sallygoodin

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Regan, I don't know how you come up with all these creative ideas! You continually surprise me! The rug looks great. I wanted to thank you for your vote for my family room at This Photographers Life. I truly appreciate the support and you taking the time to vote. Thanks again.
Hugs, Sherry

Denise said...

Great idea!

Lori said...

Love it! Now I know what to do with my old rugs! Thanks for the tutorial!

Vintage Junky said...

love! genius idea!

cindy the cottage chick said...

Brilliant. Love the checkerboard pattern. I was just considering spraypainting my ugly, stained roomsize jute rug on my screened in porch. I think it's a pretty good chance that will happen since seeing this :)

Candace said...

Now that's thrifty and brilliant.... using Post it notes. I can't imagine spending eighty dollars for a rug to get trashed too. Good job Regan! :)

Shelly said...

Looks Great Regan!!! You are so clever!!!

Hugs and love,
Shell

Lisa said...

Great project! Good thinking with the post it notes. It looks wonderful on your porch !

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

That is a great idea!
Post it notes in the wind! :) That is something I would do!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Regan - What a fabulous idea! Love how it turned out - super cute! I'll be featuring this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like! Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday Showcase - I greatly appreciate it! Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Jane said...

Hi Regan,
Your idea was pure genius!! The rug update looks fabulous although you did have me laughing when I saw the picture of the rug outside in the wind (sorry).
Your front porch looks very inviting.
Jane

Mardell said...

Girl! That's SICK! (As my DD would say....meaning GOOD! LOL) Great job, as always!

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Girl I have missed you. Now this rug thing you did has me sitting here with a big question mark on my face. hahaha
You can just take a rug and paint it like this who would of thought of this but you my dear.
So what kind of material was the rug. hahaha
I have rugs I would love to do something with.
Hope you are well
Love
Maggie

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Oh yes, your entry way rug turned out great! Despite the delay with the interfering wind! :o)

Blessings & Aloha!
(I would love to share a few original songs written by our son. One video, he made for me and 2 other songs I put on two video slideshows).

Have a safe and wonderful July 4th!

Deb said...

What a great idea, Regan. It looks really good. I'm enjoying watching the porch transformation. Keep us informed!

Cheers!