Saturday, June 11, 2011

Homemade Vitamin C Serum

Who here is enticed by those little glass bottles of serum promising to reverse wrinkles, reduce pore size, lighten hyper-pigmentation and give your skin an all over glow?

um... ME!  That's who!!!    Please tell me I am not alone...


I definitely abused the tanning beds when I was younger, and I didn't put sunscreen on like I should have when I went to the pool/beach.  Now, I'm sort of paying the price.  It's not terrible, but I am seeing pesky little wrinkles that seem to stick around long after I'm done laughing... Or from wrinkling my forehead, which apparently I do any time I concentrate on anything.  :P

I also want to use something on my skin that is natural.  Some products seem so harsh, and I think sometimes they do more harm than good.  I can't help but to worry about what goes on my skin after I read the dangers of using products with  parabens, phthalates, and Diethanolamine (DEA).  (Scary stuff, people.  If you have time, read up on the links to learn more about how hazardous these chemicals can be.)

Ok, onto the real question:
Who wants to use a natural serum that does all the hard work that the other serums do, while not costing you an arm and a leg?  I do! I do!!


Here's the simple recipe. Bonus: It's pretty cheap, too.  :)


~First, take a small container.  Glass is best, dark amber/blue glass is even better.

~Then, dissolve a 1/4 tsp of Ascorbic Acid (powdered Vitamin C) in 1 tsp. water (preferably distilled).  This is the longest part of the whole recipe.  The acid crystals have to be completely dissolved before you proceed, and this took about 1 hour for me. 


~After the crystals have dissolved, add 1/2 tsp. of glycerin.  Then take a pin and poke a hole in a vitamin E gelcap and squeeze the contents into the mixture.  (the original recipe calls for just 1 tsp. of glycerin and no vitamin E,  which felt sticky to me.  This works out a lot better- it easily absorbs into your skin, and doesn't feel as sticky. Vitamin E teams up with Vitamin C to be a really good antioxidant. The capsule isn't shown in this picture only because this was my first 'go' at it. I added it to my second batch.)

That's IT!!!  This jar should last a month or so, but if it turns yellow or orange, it has oxidized and has expired.

I added a  link to buy Ascorbic Acid, but I found mine in my health-food store in the bulk vitamin section.  (I was able to buy just a few ounces of it instead of a whole honkin' bottle.) The glycerin can be found in the pharmacy section at Walmart, or near the skin remedy section at your pharmacy.  The Vitamin E gelcaps are just your average vitamin.  (Cost Breakdown: approx. $4 for the Ascorbic acid, $2 for the Glycerin, 67c for the distilled water, and $4 for GNC's bottle of 400 Vitamin E gelcaps. A total of $11 for a lifetime humongous supply of Vitamin C serum.) 

Hope you all enjoy!! 


Linking up:




Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special


Along For the Ride


6 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

That's a cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

LuLu Kellogg said...

GREAT idea and much cheaper than what you buy in a department store!

Candace@craftysisters-nc said...

Very neat Regan! I don't know where I've been but I have missed your last couple of posts. The detergent looks cool too. I'm passing it along to my sis-in law. We have been buying a product called lemi-shine(?) to rid the hard water build up. The main ingredient is citric acid. The stuff gets expensive but is super necessary here to cure the build up on dishwashers. Also, my cures for wrinkles..Picnik, I upgraded to the "premium" version. I found every human picture I could find and removed wrinkles..airbrushed, whitened teeth...shrunk myself! Unfortunately, they look like glamour shots! :) Darn it that I can't do that in real life!

Candace

Jessie said...

Love it! I'll have to try this, I've got almost everything in my cupboard! Have you tried oil cleansing yet? It helps. AND, I heard a great tip for forehead wrinkles, or rather to stop you from wrinkling your forehead so much - stick a piece of tape to your forehead for a weekend. You'll feel it every time you wrinkle your forehead and you'll stop doing it. Breaking the habit, if you will.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

How A.maz.ing!!! Thanks for sharing this...I'm printing this off to have when I go shopping this weekend! And...I love your dishwasher soap recipe too! Have you tried any clothes detergent recipes? Please let me know.

Blessings & Aloha!
Thank you for your lovely visit! The skillet bread is so easy and quick...maybe there is another brand of biscuits without any milk proteins... My hubby and I dont eat that often, mostly make it when we have company...otherwise, we try to eat healthier foods than things like skillet bread :o) ...oh! I also added you to my sidebar.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

How did you ever think of doing this yourself. Hope it works for you be sure and let us know.
Thanks for sharing
Love
Maggie