Sunday, September 18, 2011

Skunk'd.....





My dear pup Coe, in all of his doggy wisdom, decided to play with a skunk yesterday in the middle of the night. Hubs and I were staying up late watching a spooky movie, and all of a sudden, we could smell something awful. (To tell you the truth, it didn't quite smell like true 'skunk' at first.  It smelled like something awful was burning!)  I peeked out of the back door and saw Coe trying to rub the stank off of his face with his paws, and then frantically rubbing his face in the grass.

After a quick trip to Walmart, I came home with the necessary supplies to make the magic recipe to help de-skunk a dog.  (And no, it is not tomato juice!)  If this ever happens to you, mix this recipe together and shampoo your pet immediately with it.

De-skunkin' Soap:
1 quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4  cup baking soda
1-2 Tbsp. Dawn Dishsoap (I used Hypoallergenic)

I made a double batch right away and hosed off poor Coe in the backyard.  Not something I really want to do again on a Saturday night, but, at least it worked.  I really think Coe got sprayed full blast (and at close range) right in the face.  He seems pretty lethargic today, but he has a good appetite and a cold nose, so we're going to wait this out and see how he feels tomorrow.

And just to show that I have no hard feelings to the stinky little guy that ruined 'Movie Night', here's some really cute pics of skunks that I found.  And a video. (Who can resist any kind of animal baby videos?)







Aren't they just so STINKIN' cute??

(Click on pics to see their sources)


4 comments:

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

OH NO~ this is awful and I so feel for him and you for having your peaceful evening interrupted like that. Poor Coe, I do hope a lesson was learned by all of this. Bless that baby's heart. I don't think I will every need that recipe but one I will sure keep on hand.

nancy said...

Oh poor lil' Coe! :(

tell him nana and papa love him and hope he is feeling much better.

(((Coe)))

Nana and Papa

LuLu Kellogg said...

There is nothing that smells worse than skunk and cat pee!!! Poor little Coe!!!

Love,
LuLu~*xoxo

Jeanne said...

Well my goodness. I feel horrid about the skunk experience...but happy I found your blog!... I found you by stumbling thru Pinerest. Yay! I'm so glad I did.
Now everything is Rosy..lol ha ha.

xo jeanne.
http://www.beeskneesbungalow.com/