Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tomato/Carrot/Pasta Soup

Since the weather got chilly here today, and it had been storming all day long, I felt I needed a good hearty soup.  A soul-warming kind of soup.  Something chunky, something savory.  Luckily, Pinterest offered some good ideas to get me started on just what kind of soup I would make today.

I followed a link found on Pinterest to find this recipe, and I used it as the base for tonight's dinner.  I made a few tweaks to the recipe to come up with something that I know I will be making again.  :)


Here's the recipe for the soup I ate tonight, including the 'tweaks' I made:
2 Tbsp. vegan butter (Or you could use olive oil)
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 stalk of celery, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. bottled minced garlic
pinch dried thyme
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil 
2 cans of diced tomatoes plus liquid
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup Silk's PureCoconut milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
Pasta* (I made homemade, recipe below.)

1.)  In a Dutch Oven, melt butter over med-high heat.  Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and thyme.  Saute until the onion and celery are soft. 


2.) Add basil, both cans of tomatoes, vegetable broth and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 1/2 hour or until carrots are soft.  Add coconut milk (this helped to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, it gave it a little sweetness.  I recommend Silk coconut milk over the canned variety- it has less fat and isn't quite so 'coconutty').


3.) Now, add your pasta and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until pasta is done.  I made homemade pasta, in which case I boiled in a separate pot so it didn't thicken the soup up too much. *Now that I have tasted this, I know next time, I will use tortellini or gnocchi.  This soup needs a heavy pasta.



Pasta recipe:
1 cup whole wheat flour (I used ww white flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. olive oil
1/4 cup water


1.)Add all to a food processor or mixer.  I used my KitchenAid mixer with the dough hook, and it worked perfectly.  Mix until a smooth dough ball forms.  Add a tsp of water at a time if the dough appears to be too dry.


2.)On a floured surface, roll the dough out to a 1/4" thickness. Cut into pieces/strips.  Shake more flour on top, and let rest on a baking rack for about an hour.  


3.) Boil for 6 minutes in salted water, and then add to your soup. 



This was a great soup.  I can tell its a very versatile soup, too, whereas you can add just about whatever type of pasta/grain you have on hand, and any other types of veggies.  I think next time, I may add some corn.  Tonight, however, I just enjoyed it with a little Daiya Mozz on top (vegan mozzarella). 


Thank Goodness for left-overs!!


6 comments:

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

YUM!!! I have not made my own noodles but this is one I will have to try. That looks so good and so does your Red pot!! love that!

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Regan, This sounds wonderful for a Fall dinner. I have been looking at soup recipes online to try something different so thank you for sharing.

Ina answer to your chalk paint question. I did use briwax on the vanity and the frames just because I wanted a little sheen. I have done several other pieces including the urn and didn't use sealer. No problems with adhering.
Hugs,
Sherry

NanaDiana said...

That looks really good-AND healthy! xo Diana

Uncle Tractor said...

Yum! You can make this for us when we visit! - Dad

Gail said...

Hi Regan, that soup looks yummmmmy! Good for you in that you made your own noodles. I have never made my own!

Enjoy your evening,
Gail

Gypsy Heart said...

Oh, this sounds wonderful! I love good, healthy, hearty soups. Thanks so much for sharing.

xo
Pat