Friday, October 28, 2011

Irish Hand Pies

As many of you know, I am trying to go vegan.  Even though I would be ecstatic if my hubby and kiddo would jump on the vegan bandwagon with me, it is not something I will even consider pushing on them.  I am doing this for me, mostly to avoid any reactions due to my milk allergy, and I feel it is up to them to make such a decision for themselves. 

Although I offer a taste of anything vegan that I am eating, I know they prefer a more traditional menu.  Because I am tired of cooking two meals every dinner, I have been researching dinners that can be pre-made, frozen, and then thawed and cooked in a hurry.  I already have an arsenal of vegan burgers and sides packed up in the freezer, so now it's time to do the same for my omnivorous family. ;)   I made some Irish Hand Pies to freeze for later.








Recipe:

1Tbs. oil
¼ head of cabbage, sliced
1 ½ lbs. redskins, cleaned and diced
½ onion, diced
1 lb. ground meat (I used a combo of turkey and beef)
1 cup water
3 Tbs. tomato paste
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. dried thyme
S & P to taste
2 rolls of pre-made pie crust, thawed.

1.)  In a heavy bottom pan, heat oil.  Add potatoes and cabbage, toss to coat.  Saute on med-high for about 8 minutes, until the cabbage is wilted.  Add onion and ground meat and cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring frequently.
2.)  When meat is fully cooked, add water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and thyme.  Stir to incorporate. Reduce heat to medium and cover.  Simmer for 10 minutes until potatoes are soft.
3.)  When potatoes are soft, mash everything with a fork or potato masher.  Then, remove from heat and let cool completely.  Divide cooled meat mixture into 8 equal servings.
4.)  Divide each crust into 4 equal parts, roll to ¼" thickness, in the shape of a square.  Place a portion of meat on one side of the prepared crust, and fold crust over to cover.  Wet the edges of the dough with water and press with a fork to seal.  Cut a few vents in the top.
5.)  You can wrap each pie in plastic and freeze at this point.
6.)  From thawed, bake in a preheated 400 oven for 12-15 minutes.  From frozen, bake in a preheated 400 oven for 30 minutes.


I think I will try to make these vegan sometime soon, maybe using lentils or soy crumbles instead of ground meat.  (I used a vegan Worcestershire sauce anyway, and the pie crust is 'accidentally' vegan.) I also think these will go great with a vegetable type soup, like a creamy tomato.  :)

3 comments:

Uncle Tractor said...

They would be sooo tasty with some gravy! I'd eat a few! - Dad

NanaDiana said...

They sound like the pastys we get here and in the UP. MyHero likes them with gravy but I would prefer ketchup! xo Diana

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Yum!!! These sound so good and I'm sure that whatever vegan variations you come up with will be tasty too!

Thanks for sharing!

Blessings & Aloha!
(I'm thankful, blessed and love to be busy with the art orders for Christmas...but also happy to catch up on some blog reading! I wanted to stop by and say hello! Hope you all are doing well, my friend! :o)