Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Last Bit of Summer

You know what?  This was my first time making, and eating, fried green tomatoes.

Aren't they beautiful?  This vibrant green color is so refreshing.  



I doubt we'll see it again for a while, but that's ok.  
I love the fall and winter seasons, and welcome them with open arms!






Anyhow, here's the recipe:

2 green tomatoes
1 tbsp. flax seeds, freshly ground and mixed with 4 tbsp. water (or other egg replacer)
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup almond milk (or other plant based milk.  I like almond because its very thick and coats well)
3-4 tbsp. oil for frying
Salt and Pepper to taste

1.) Cut slices of tomatoes, blot the extra moisture with paper towels. 
2.) Heat up a heavy bottomed pan on med-high heat, add the oil. Set up your 'dipping station'.
3.) Dip the tomatoes in milk, then in flour, then in flax mixture and finally in the cornmeal.  Make sure to press the flour and cornmeal in to make a nice crust.
4.) Add to the hot pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and fry about 3-4 minutes on each side.  I enjoyed these on toast, with fresh red onion, lettuce and vegan mayo.  




Paired with a stack of sweet potato fries, this was a perfect Indian Summer dinner.  



5 comments:

Uncle Tractor said...

Yum . . . yum . . . yum!

NanaDiana said...

Glad you enjoyed them! My Mother used to make them all the time when I was a kid...xo Diana

~ Regan said...

Thanks you two! They were yummy!
Too bad you don't live closer, Dad, I was the only one eating them... I would have gladly shared!

Gypsy Heart said...

Wish I lived closer too! Looks and sounds delish ~

xo
Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

Wish I lived closer too! Looks and sounds delish ~

xo
Pat