Monday, October 24, 2011

A Visitor


I love looking out my kitchen window, I always get a glimpse of something wonderful. 
This last weekend, I woke up to a morning visitor perched on my fence.  




There are many hawks around our house.  This is not the first time they've perched on my fence.  A few months ago, I actually had two hawks sitting in my mulberry tree (although I doubt they were there for the fruit.).  




This little guy is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk.  
From what I have read young Cooper's have yellow eyes, and as they mature, their eyes turn to a red color, and their young brown and rusty colored feathers turn to a steely blue and brown.  




I took a few pictures, and then just stood there watching him watching me.  
I hope he comes by again, I think he is so beautiful.

4 comments:

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

What a beauty you have there and for it to stay still so you can capture it with your camera. There is one that hangs around here but knows when I go to get the camera and flys off.

Uncle Tractor said...

Great photo! You know I love nature photos. - Dad

nancy said...

such a majestic looking bird. I love to look for the hawks and you got a great picture there kiddo. You remind me of your daddy taking such wonderful pics. thanks for sharing.

Mom.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

What a regal looking bird! And that was neat to learn about the color of their eyes and feathers as they grow older.

Blessings & Aloha!